Wednesday, February 1, 2012

ADDICTED

I grew up in bondage to a lie, 
not just one, but a thousand or more, 
that evil is pleasure and good and right 
and that I "deserve" to get high. 

My addiction to "stay high" grew by the dozens, 
my carnal need to please me and man is why;

alcohol, 
attention, 
shopping, 
perfection, 
relationships, 
food and starvation, 
exercise,
drugs and shameful lying,
jealousy,
resentment and selfish striving.

All about me... 
All about me...
ALL ABOUT ME!

Until the day God spoke deep into my heart, 
a beholding voice, I was struck, 

"You deserve My punishment for the evil you do, you really only deserve death."

I couldn't deny His judgement, He was right, I couldn't be more wrong, 
I fell to my knees in remorseful abandon,
 
"I t    i s    YOU   w h o   a r e   g o o d,   LORD,   n o t   I." 

His mercy gently led my grieving heart to hear His truth about me, 
He opened my eyes and showed me His Son, 
and in light of my own life, 
I fell down,
undone.

He lifted me out of the mire,
in sin sludge I once felt so warm, 
He showed me His judgement upon me was paid,
my punishment hung on the Cross.

I've been saved from wicked lies and addictions, 
from the thief of hell's destiny, 
God saved me from my most deceitful attraction, 
the mind and heart of me.

Heaven's sanctifying work still pruning, 
by grace as the Savior will expose, 
Christ is the Author and Perfecter of my fate,
the devil no longer runs the show.

Why can't their ears hear, 
and why can't their eyes see? 
It wasn't I, 
but Christ who freed me.

Call me a self-righteous Jesus freak, 
a hypocrite or worse,  
what matters most is I've been saved by Grace, 
from God's judgement, death and sin's curse.

One day all motives will be revealed, 
so I'll get it all out right now, 
my dark heart no longer hides from light, 
in Christ is where it is found. 

First born a sinner to the father of lies, 
I was a doer of no good, no ability to reform; 
yet, by Sovereign grace God called me by name, 
no longer "enemy", 
but,
"Beloved",reborn.
 

He opened my heart and I received His Son,
 
by faith, 

no longer led to the slaughter;

He is the LORD, the King of all kings 

and I am His daughter.


Today, He leads me by still waters,
 
in His presence I find true peace,
 
sin and death no longer own my life,
 
I'm born again, addicted to Christ.



“The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; Who can understand it? “I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds." 
JEREMIAH 17:9-10

"For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.  For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.  And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. 
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned— " ROMANS 5:6-12



(photo credit)

No comments:

Post a Comment