Saturday, March 31, 2012

d-i-y Easter Banner

{diy} 
::EASTER BANNER::
There's Always a Reason to Celebrate!


I'd been waiting for any good reason to create 
a new celebration banner, and Springtime, 
specifically Easter, afforded the perfect occasion! 
I typically don't do much decorating this time of year, 
especially since the true meaning of Easter seems 
to have lost its place in the retail stores. 
There isn't much celebration inventory out there 
proclaiming the Easter message of hope for our world: 
the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.  
So, I went to work. 
With random scraps I already had, 
lots of hot glue and a few craft tools, 
I was able to create this sweet expression of joy 
in celebration of our Risen King.

Provided below are simple steps that will 
help you create your own celebration banner. 


::

Here's what you need:

8 pieces chipboard approx. 5"x7"  {I found some precut at Michael's}
 Decorative card stock {use any color combinations you like}
Press-out chipboard letters {I used Jim Holts idea-ology}
Fabric remnants
Paper cutter
Jute twine
Black permanent marker
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Hole puncher
2 dried flowers {any kind looks beautiful}
Acrylic paints {I used dark brown, terra cotta & cream}
Paint brush or sponge

 

::

After I gathered all the things I wanted to use, 
I popped out the appropriate letters h-e-i-s-r-i-s-e-n.
I then chose the card stock for matting behind the letters and cut (8) 4"x 6" pieces.


::


Each letter was colored with a black marker.



::

I painted the chipboard pieces to give them a richer look with watered down paint wash; 
this dries quite fast.

Then began the hot glueing. 

First, the card stock was glued to the chipboard.
Second, I layered a smaller square of remanent fabric; this was an after thought--
I really like the organic feel and depth it gives.
Thirdly, I glued the letter on top. 

{For the word "is" I layered a bright orange strip of card stock 
before the fabric for a punch of color and to distinguish the separation of words.}




::

Finally, I added a dried flower to each outer corner of the first and last letter of the banner.



::

Ta-dah! 


This is such an easy, inexpensive, and delightful way to share a message out loud; 

And, what better message than the Resurrection Message!


"But God raised Him from the dead, 
freeing Him from the agony of death, 
because it was impossible for death 
to keep its hold on Him."
ACTS 2:24

"I am the Living One; 
I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! 
And I hold the keys of death and Hades."
REVELATION 1:18



{All items and tools can be found at a craft store such as Michael's or Tall Mouse
Don't be shy to look through what you already have (like I did). 
Since this is a d-i-y project, you can use different materials in place of what I used;
 ie: ribbon instead of twine, stencil letters instead of press-out letters, etc. 
Have fun & create "your own style" banner!}

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! This is so creative and so do-able! You have a gift for the beautiful and creative things and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutelly love this DIY! I will try to make one before Sunday, thanks for sharing!! XO

    ReplyDelete