Wednesday, January 5, 2011

PUTTING CHRISTMAS AWAY

Dusty, empty containers come out of the garage once again to put Christmas away.

I dread this part.

Nevertheless, the monotonous work begins.

I carefully take down each festive bauble, trying to fit Christmas back into it's box.  
In this bland commission, my solemn heart senses the novelty of the season dissipate into a new year.

Next, as I mull over every precious photo card and heartfelt greeting, I see God's reflection of love for my family and me. To tuck these away, not just for a year, but for always, seems odd to do. Smiling
faces and joyous salutations put away in a dark cabinet, or for some--in the trash, reminds me of my own flawed heart. I think of old friends, long forgotten ones too. Relationships put away for awhile; sometimes never to be brought out again.

It occurs to me how easy it is to put Jesus away. To disregard His living presence seems appalling, yet so recurrent. Along with the inanimate carvings of angelic Nativity scenes, left over ribbon and shiny, gold wrap, the Spirit of Christmas, known more commonly as a day,  is carefully and orderly packed away.

This year will be different. 


This year I plan to keep the Christmas lights up. 


Brilliant and pure, burning bright in night's sky, I love the radiant drapery adorning the exterior of our home. This reminds me of Jesus. 


The light in the darkness, 
The bright morning star, 
The root of David,
The light of the world.

This year will be different.

This year I choose to purposefully not put Christmas away.

The Savior may have been born in a dusty, empty stall, but, He is far from fitting into any box.

Choose light.  Choose life.

"Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ."  Daniel 12:3, 2 Corinthians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment