Saturday, January 29, 2011

SOLID vs. HOLLOW





When I was young I just loved Easter. I still do, but now, for a very different reason.
When I was a kid, Easter was all about the basket.
Waking up to that very special commercially packaged, woven container was sorta like Christmas. Always a surprise, delectable treats dropped off by a mysterious visitor with long white ears and whiskers. I never did see him, but I was certainly always thankful when I'd wake up on that glorious Sunday morning to find his trademark left behind.

And, the chocolate bunnies!

I love chocolate.

With careful anticipation I would disassemble my securely wrapped gift, always looking first, for the coveted chocolate bunny. There, I would spot him sitting proudly amongst the plastic green grass, tucked behind the less than popular bright yellow peeps and fake jellybeans-- although, the black ones weren't bad. All dressed and ready for his big day, shiny, illustrated foil pressed perfectly to his form, he cheerfully peered through the clear cellophane window of his brightly decorated holiday box that screamed springtime and happiness.

A dozen Easter mornings came and went before I noticed a very important detail of this blessed event.

SOLID vs. HOLLOW
There were times, in my hasty approach of making acquaintance with this new milk chocolate friend, I would bite into his extended, smooth brown ear, only to discover... ...HOLLOW

I had missed the warning sign.  
The box might as well been labeled "Empty Chocolate".


Those who are easily wooed by chocolate know what I'm talking about.

It's been, I don't know how long, since I've bitten into a chocolate replica of Peter Cottontail and it's been just about that long since Easter-time's infamous furry idol has made a stop at our home. The eggs no longer get colored, hidden or found. (I never did get that...a rabbit that hides eggs?)


Through the years my mind has changed about many things, including Easter, baskets and chocolate bunnies. My mind has also changed regarding Solid vs. Hollow. I still love chocolate but, my love for God is my true worship.


Now, I choose HOLLOW.
Empty.
Poured out.
Abandoned.

 
The less I have of what I think I want, the more I have of what He gives.

Less discontent.
Less anxiety.
Less impatience.
Less me.

Today, I understand that hollow means more.
Much, much more.
Hollow means richer.
Hollow means sweeter.
Hollow means the best.

I want to be hollow so that I might be filled to overflowing.

More love.
Richer truth.
Sweeter peace.
The better way.

Have you tasted and seen that the Lord is so good? Have you felt the presence of His Spirit as He speaks sweet and powerful words of help and comfort to your starving heart?

How sweet are His words to my taste, sweeter than honey (chocolate) to my mouth.



"And I will pray to the Father, and He will give you another Helper, [The Comforter, The Encourager, The Counselor] that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." John 14:16-17



Okay, yes, I'll admit, in the midst of my grateful heart, was the beat of disappointment.
For I was a SOLID chocolate worshiper.

Solid meant more.
Solid meant richer.
Solid meant better.

No comments:

Post a Comment